Shoulder pain when or after sleeping is a fairly common problem. If you have ever suffered, you will know how upset it can be. Almost always, night shoulder pains
are due to problems in the rotator cuff. Usually, this pain is associated with an ailment called rotator cuff tendinitis.
Best Solutions To Stop Shoulder Pain After Sleeping (2019)
The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that adhere to the bones of the shoulder joint, allowing it to move and keep it stable.
The most common injuries are two; tendinitis of the rotator cuff and a possible tear of this. In the case of the first, the tendons become irritated and the bursa (layer that covers
those tendons) becomes inflamed.
In the case of tearing, it occurs when one of the tendons detaches from the bone due to an overload or injury.
At bedtime, and regardless of which side you put on, this can cause you a pain that makes it impossible for you to fall asleep. Obviously, if it is prolonged over time, lack of sleep and rest will affect your quality of life and waking time.
Before we discus the reasons of your problem i did published some articles to help you fix it. If you are interested you may consider reading about it later on :
Causes of shoulder pain while sleeping:
In essence, you can divide the causes of nocturnal shoulder pain as follows:
1. Untrained pain
2. Pain from a wrong mattress
3. Pain from untrained arms
4. Pain due to surgery
There may be many reasons why you have shoulder pain.
Most of the time it is nothing to worry about because the cause can be a simple muscular tension. Sometimes, shoulder pain may indicate a serious condition of
the heart, lung, or other organs.
These are some of the possible causes of shoulder pain:
Muscular strain.Muscle distension is one of the most common reasons for shoulder pain.
There are muscles around the scapula that move and support it.Very often doing repetitive work can tense these muscles and cause pain below the shoulder blades. The start of a new exercise regimen could also put extra stress on the muscles around the shoulder blades.
Sometimes, even just sleeping in the wrong position, can make us wake up in the morning with a sharp pain in or between the shoulder blades. Because our shoulder blades are connected to the way we use our arms, it is not surprising that working conditions can also cause chronic pain in the shoulder
The research published in the Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, showed that excessive tension in the muscles of the scapula is a reason for shoulder pain in many workers in the textile industry.
Therefore, it is important to try to avoid doing repetitive work for long periods of time without a break. At the end of the article, you can find some useful tips
on how to check your position.
If you find that you have shoulder pain after sleeping, you can try to sleep in a different position.
To reduce back pain, it is recommended that if you sleep on your side, you should pull your legs slightly towards your chest and put a pillow between them. Or, if you prefer to sleep on your back, you can place a pillow under your knees and a Small towel rolled under the lower back.
Most causes of shoulder pain fall into the following categories:
• Bursitis and Shoulder Impingement
• Rotator cuff tears
Other much less common causes of shoulder pain are tumors, infection and neurological problems.
What can I do with shoulder pain when sleeping?
Generally these types of injuries cause mild to moderate pain during the day. But when the night comes, the pain is increased.
This may be due in part to the fact that during the night we spend a lot of time in the same position, and the shoulder is overloaded. Of course, before any pain the first thing to do is go to the specialist, to rule out other problems and apply an appropriate treatment as appropriate.
How to remedy and prevent shoulder pain when sleeping
Among all the remedies or solutions that will be proposed, you can find the following:
• Sleeping reclined: The use of an articulated bed can be very helpful if you suffer from shoulder pain when sleeping.
• Cold therapy: It is usually very effective in relieving pain and improving inflammation caused by a rotator cuff injury.
• Sleeping with a special pillow: There are some cervical pillows that are ideal for improving shoulder pain when sleeping.
• Specific exercises: to help improve and strengthen the area.
• Physiotherapy treatment: Many patients report much improvement after performing physiotherapy treatment in the area.
• Anti-inflammatory medications: Always under medical supervision.
• Infiltrations: These are injections that help decrease inflammation. Of course, it has to be applied by a specialist health professional.
• Surgery: In some cases the only solution may be to resort to the operating room to solve the problem.
• Time: On many occasions the pain of shoulder when sleeping sends on its own. Over time, the inflammation subsides and the area recovers.It can be frustrating, but after all, it’s an injury. And as such, it takes time for the body to repair the tissues.
• Try to change your position when sleeping: Sometimes, it is the very position we adopt when resting that causes shoulder pain. Try to find a position that is comfortable for you and in which the shoulder is in a natural position.
• Check your mattress:An old or inadequate mattress can cause shoulder pain when sleeping in addition to other problems.Check your mattress, if necessary renew it. In addition, with the payment facilities we offer, it will not be a problem to acquire the best possible mattress that your rest deserves.
• Try to relax: Many times, the pain of the shoulder when sleeping is caused by the accumulated stress during the day.
We tend to be tense, and that causes some muscles to seize, causing pain. Try to perform some of the relaxation techniques we have talked about. And do not forget to stretch well before going to rest, it will also help you to feel better.
The importance of the sleeping position to limit shoulder pain
Shoulder pain is common because the physiognomy of this part of the body is complex. An uneven solicitation can generate enough pressure to cause inflammation and pain in the muscles or tendons.
To prevent or reduce this pain, it is necessary to limit the solicitation of the sore shoulder, which is very difficult because it is the joint that manages the movements of the arm.
During sleep, concentration of weight on the same side of the body is an important
source of shoulder pain; it can be the direct cause or the aggravating factor.That’s why a third of the sleepers on the side often wake up with a stiff arm.
The pillow has a big impact on the shoulder pressure Despite the pressure on the shoulder, sleeping on the side remains the most popular position.
Its comforting aspect takes over the excessive load caused by poorly distributed upper body weight.
No matter how we sleep, the shoulder and arm are constantly under pressure when we are lying on their side. The position of the arm has a direct impact on the solicitation of the shoulder as a whole.It is therefore necessary to distribute the pressure also when sleeping on the side.
A pillow suitable for sleeping on your back easily
Sleeping on the back causes very little pressure on the shoulders, except for joints that are stressed differently because of the elongated body.
Sleeping on the back eliminates the sleeping position as a contributing factor to shoulder pain. Many people who sleep habitually on the side adopt the sleeping position on the back for this reason.